Saturday, March 6, 2010

Crazy?

Wow, so recognizing that corporations have so much power and sway over nearly all of our elected officials in the US government (not to mention the world), and sharing the news with others who were previously unaware--that means I'm crazy? *

For the past decade, if you didn't support the war, you were non-patriotic. If you criticize the president, you were treasonous. Then, we got a new president (for whom I voted) and if you criticize him, you are a racist. I've stated before, his inconsistency as president vs. his campaign platform is what upsets me about the president. His preference to favor corporations and banks over the people is hugely disappointing.

I'm not a birther, a truther, a tea partier, and definitely not a racist--why can't I criticize his heavily corporate/bank friendly policy without being called crazy or racist?

I voted for the man. I saw him becoming president after his keynote speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention. I thought he was just what we needed, but my god, his overcommitment to the myth of bipartisanship has rendered him ineffectual, his cabinet choices make him seem either clueless or crooked (Geithner? Summers? Come on!), his willingness to put the banks before the people, his insistence that the economy is recovering in spite so many indications it is getting worse (not to mention the two disasters looming on the horizon he hasn't addressed: the credit and commercial real estate crashes), and his commitment to a really awful health care deform bill all add up to a bad first year. A really bad first year.

But the absolute uselessness of the Democrats and the cluelessness of the Republicans has me (and many others like me) desperate for a 3rd party free from any corporate influence. The Democrats and Republicans need it, too, so they can see legislation get done without corruption or corporate influence.


* That means Sens. Dick Durbin and Russ feingold and Reps. Ron Paul and Alan Grayson are all crazy, too. Dick Durbin said point blank "The banks own congress." Russ Feingold wrote a brilliant essay responding to the SCOTUS "Citizens United" decision. Paul and Grayson are outspoken in their criticism of the Federal Reserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment