Sunday, November 14, 2010

Lone Star International Film Festival's last night...

So, tonight--or, really last night--we somehow wound up at the Lone Star International Film Festival in Ft Worth, TX. Let me backtrack some...

Peter Bogdonavich, Jeff Bridges, T. Bone Burnett
After spending all day trying to get my wife's car to run (it's a Jetta TDI that will crank but not fire--we've actually spent close to a month trying to fix the damn thing), we wheeled into Ft Worth and had the idea to go by and see the new house into which our friends Ray & Penny and their kids, Jesse and Quetzal, had recently moved. They had had plans to go see the big concert finishing off the Lone Star Film Festival which featured 2010 Oscar Winner for Best ActorJeff Bridges playing songs from the film in which he starred, Crazy Heart, with a band that featured the producer, songwriter, and Oscar Winner (for best original song--"The Weary Kind"), T. Bone Burnett (Ray's long time idol). But their ride had fallen through. We were the blessed cavalry, I guess. Promised free access to the show, and with a little convincing (considering we were both exhausted, my wife and I) we went.

 Well, Ray knows people who know people, and soon we are in the VIP section, by invitation of the Moncriefs, who I understand are well to do in the FW scene. We are sitting at the table just behind John Langdon and next to the Moncrief table. At first, some drone woman tried to hassle us and throw us out until we name-dropped like spewing D-listers.

It was this weird mesh of Ft Worth and Hollywood--and if that sounds weird, it most certainly was. I saw Jim Jarmusch (I'm sure), and we conversed with a former Miss Texas. There were a lot of other celebs there--the kind you recognize their faces but whose names don't readily come to mind--but my biggest moment was standing next to this guy I recognized but couldn't place--I'm thinking, thinking--suddenly, it comes to me, and I blurt out "Holy shit! Peter Bogdonavich!" and scared the SHIT out of him because, of course, it came out of nowhere, my declaration, and he cautiously moved away as I apologized, told him I was a big fan, and it was a pleasure to meet him.

The concert was short, but fun, and there was a piano on stage that never got played--rumor was that Lyle Lovett, who was playing that same night across town, would show up and tickle some ivories. Alas, a rumor was all that was. Still, it was fun, and I accidentally startled Peter Bogdonavich, which is kind of cool. Fun night that just sprang up on us out of nowhere.

Pics from my crappy phone:


T Bone

Jeff Bridges

Jeff Bridges

John Langdon (sitting), Jim Jarmusch (standing)

Jeff Bridges

T Bone

No comments:

Post a Comment